Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Collective Weight

Every so often a notion occurs.

And I think I am getting to an age where it's best to pop it down somewhere as my mind these days is so filled with competing thoughts, and evidently less able to recall them, a written record seems a wise precaution.

I was clearing out some junk, as the proportion that has remained junk as opposed to getting converted into useful 'Junkk' is still, sadly, skewed towards the divorce courts.

Amongst a lot that really has to go, and doesn't look like inspiring much now if it hasn't already, is a fair old selection of cardboard, especially in the form of Pizza and Cereal boxes. Still great for filing, but... there's really only so much filing one needs now, especially as that little box just over there is storing 500GB paperlessly, with an even smaller one next to it in reassuring back-up, with the cloud as belt and braces.

The loo rolls are staying, as I have a pretty nifty scheme for these, involving an old drill stand I located (see if you can guess what may be going down there before I unveil this idea).

I think the Tetrapaks have to go, too. I may keep the spout/caps, but they are a lot of bulk with little second use so far inspired.

Which brings me to the cans. Steel ones not so many as we seem to be getting fresher and fresher in our diet, and while I can see some value in the lipped variety connecting together to form tubing, they are darn near uncrushable and hog space.

Which brings me to the aluminiums. For sure we have a lovely haul of ring pulls to conjure with, but the cans themselves? 

I had been simply crushing them to save space, but even this has mounted up.

Cue... the notion.

On our own, over time, we have created a fair old collection, and in crushed form the sacks are barely liftable. But if I simply pop them in the recycling, I am sure the bin men will grumble but their bosses will be thrilled. Pre-processed raw metal!

A while ago I did ask around at what point it all got financially viable to 'the industry' and, hence, in turn, the individual.

A few questions arose and still need clarifying...

1) What quantity makes a delivery (by me) viable?

2) What more makes a collection (by them) viable?

Simple stuff, as I am thinking of creating a Junkk.com master page with a chart. Something like:

RECYCLATE - Delivery/ton - Collection/ton - Value/ton - Local connection
Steel______l____________l____________l_________l_____________
Alumimium_l____________l____________l_________l_____________
Glass______l____________l____________l_________l_____________
Plastic_____l____________l____________l_________l_____________
Textiles____l____________l____________l_________l_____________

(see how Blogger formatting messes with that between post creation and print)

This can then be simply cut and pasted as data comes in on a postcode by postcode area basis.

I see potential because, presuming any community can find its own storage area, while one person may struggle in a sensible timeframe to build up enough to make it worthwhile, many pooling resources might yet see enough to profit in the effort.

No comments: